The fort of the town, attributed to Sultan Mahmud Tughlaq of Delhi is a rectangular construction of red sandstone. It was constructed in 1344 A.D. when Mahmud was on his campaign of conquest in the Deccan. It contains some ruins of buildings of the 15-16th Century. The only event of historical importance about the fort is that the Peshwa Bajirao II was born here in 1775. The fort was occupied by the Rohillas and others who revolted against the British powerin 1857, which recaptured it after bombardment which lasted for six days. On the third gate of the fort there is an inscription recording its construction during the reign of Aurangzeb and under the administration of Ashur Beg, the foster brother of Shah Jahan.